By Brousseau, Anne-Marie; Lefebvre, Claire
Read or Download A Grammar of Fongbe PDF
Similar language & grammar books
This quantity presents a close research of language touch in North Africa and explores the historic presence of the languages utilized in the area, together with the various different types of Arabic and Berber in addition to ecu languages. utilizing a variety of information units, it offers a finished research of the mechanisms of language touch less than classical diglossia and societal bilingualism, reading a number of circumstances of oral and written code-switching.
The Grammar of ownership: Inalienability, incorporation and possessor ascension in Guaraní, is an exhaustive examine of linguistic constructions in Paraguayan Guaraní that are without delay or in some way linked to the semantic area of inalienability. buildings analyzed within the e-book comprise adnominal and predicative possessive buildings, noun incorporation, and possessor ascension.
This quantity fosters the sector of 'variational textual content linguistics'. Its specialise in either useful and nearby different types of textual edition offers new insights into the concept that of 'register'. The ebook is a discussion board for the outline and dialogue of registers that have no longer got adequate linguistic consciousness thus far.
- How to Talk to Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere The Secrets of Good Communication
- Origins of Sound Change: Approaches to Phonologization
- Discourse on the Move: Using corpus analysis to describe discourse structure (Studies in Corpus Linguistics)
- Megawords: 200 Terms You Really Need to Know
- Beyond Narrative Coherence (Studies in Narrative)
- Politics and Sociolinguistic Reflexes: Palestinian Border Villages
Extra info for A Grammar of Fongbe
1. 15 Affrication occurs when the alveodental stops /t/ and /d/ are followed by a front high vowel. Outputs vary across lects: place of articulaton may remain the same, yielding [ts] and [dz], or palatalisation may occur, yielding [δ] and ]. The two variants are shown in (25) and (26), respectively. (25) a. i t -> j d b. ' a. i t -> δ b. 2. Rounding and vowel harmony There are two processes of vowel rounding in Fongbe; they involve rounding of the high vowel /i/. Both processes are restricted in their application, since they occur only in loanwords and in some affixes.
Segmental inventories The vowel system of Fongbe, shown in (1), consists of seven oral and seven nasal vowels, including two high nasal vowels (see Brillon—Brousseau 1986; Capo 1985b, 1991). (1) INVENTORY OF VOWELS IN FONGBE a. Front High Mid-high Mid-low Central Back u ο ο i e ε a NASAL Low b. 1 This inventory is both phonemic and phonetic, with the following exceptions: the nasal vowels lei and /δ/ may be phonetically realised as such in only 162. Overview of the phonology three lects (two Vhe lects and one Gen lect).
Third, verbs which participate in the double object construction also participate in the serial verb construction. g. ) are not the same in the double object construction and in the serial verb construction. Finally, the Fongbe data suggest that the variation (between speakers and between languages) in the range of verbs that can participate in the double object construction can be accounted for along two dimensions: semantics and case. The definite determiner, which plays a central role in the nominal structure (chapter 3) and in some subordinate clauses (chapter 7), also plays an important role in the structure of the Fongbe simple clause (chapter 15).
A Grammar of Fongbe by Brousseau, Anne-Marie; Lefebvre, Claire